If you translate Puerto Rico it means RICH PORT, that is what the conquerors envision about our island, and we Puerto Ricans still do. Nestled some 1,000 miles southeast of Florida, Puerto Rico is historic, yet modern destination, where you can enjoy the forest and the beaches and it seems exotic because of its culture, yet very familiar with all the US commodities. Passports aren’t needed for U.S. citizens who travel between Puerto Rico and the U.S.
- Passport Information – Passports are not necessary for American citizens Entering Puerto Rico. Foreign nationals should have valid passports and visas as required.
- Climate – Tropical. Temperature average 82° F (28° C) with constant mild, easterly trade winds. The US Weather Bureau has never recorded temperatures in San Juan below 68° F of higher 97° F.
- Currency – U.S. Dollar. Major credit cards are accepted in most establishments.
- Driving – Driving is on the right-hand side of the road. A valid driver’s license can be used for up to 30 days.
- Electricity – 110-220 volts, 60Hz.
- Languages Spoken – Two official languages, Spanish and English.
- Liquor Laws – In Puerto Rico, the legal drinking ages is 18. Alcohol consumption is forbidden in the streets of Old San Juan.
- Location – 1,000 miles (1,600 kilometers) southeast of Miami; 3 _ hours by plane from Atlanta and New York, 4 hours from Boston, 2 _ hours from Miami, 4 _ hours from Chicago, Houston and Dallas, and 8 hours from Los Angeles.
- Mail – U.S. Postal Service rates and services are the same as on the U.S. mainland. All major courier / express delivery companies serve Puerto Rico.
- Area Code – the Island’s area codes are 787 and 939. You need to dial 1-787 or 1-939 before placing a call to any number outside metro area, and 787 or 939 within the metro area.
- Population – 3.8 million.
- Size – Approximately 100 by 35 miles (160 by 56 kilometers).
- Taxes – In Puerto Rico a 7% Sales Tax applies to goods and services.
- Time of Day – Puerto Rico is on Atlantic Standard Time (AST) all year around, which is one hour later than US Eastern Standard Time (EST) from October to April and the same as Eastern Daylight Saving Time from April to October.
- Tipping – 15% to 20% suggested.
Map & Locations